Everyone wants to build that six pack right?! And what better way to do that than with the bicycle! No, I do not mean the one you ride! This abdominal exercise works the core and also challenges stability!
- Lying on a mat ensure your entire back is pressed into the floor. Place your hands beside your head with your fingertips gently touching your temples. Lift upper body into crunch position and bring legs up so they are perpendicular to the floor.
- With a cycle pedaling motion, extend the right leg and allow the left leg to bend in brining it towards the torso. As you are moving your legs into position, bring your right elbow to meet your left knee. You should feel the crunch through your side as you exhale.
- As you inhale move back to the initial position.
- As you continue the pedaling motion extend the left leg and bring the right knee to meet the left elbow while you exhale.
- Continue alternating with the pedaling motion until you have completed your repetitions!
Things to Avoid:
- Keep the neck in a neutral position to avoid an excess strain.
- While you cannot add extra resistance to this exercise you can ensure you are executing the exercise with perfect form and control.
- Aside from having perfect form you could also try doing bicycles on a bosu ball to challenge your balancing abilities!
Although this seems like a simple exercise with basic movement it becomes quite challenging! It is important to build a strong core to support the body and allow it to move to the best of its ability!
Here is some more information about the Bicycle Crunch from Sports Medicine about this exercise! http://sportsmedicine.about.com/od/abdominalcorestrength1/qt/Bicycle_Crunch.htm
Need a personal trainer to help you get in shape? Check out my article on the best personal trainer for you! www.ironsidefitness.com/best-personal-trainer-calgary/