I don’t know about you, but the weekend is when we have time to grocery shop. If you are in the same boat, grab your shopping list and a pen and get ready! You’ve heard me talk about the benefits of being alkaline, and the harmful effects of being acidic. But today I have a list of foods that will assist you in being alkaline! Add these foods to your menu this week and see how different you feel in a week!
- Almonds, the perfect grab and go snack that also helps you in being alkaline!
- Amaranth, this high protein grain is a great addition to your meal plan!
- Artichokes, high in antioxidants, and has the ability ot purify the liver and aid in digestion!
- Arugula, high in Vitamin A and Calcium, load your salads with this flavourful green!
- Asparagus, one of the strongest alkaline boosting foods! And its anit-aging!
- Avocado, a super food and a alkaline power house! Eat it raw or in oil form!
- Basil, ever thought how the spices you cook with affect your pH? Well add some basil into your cooking for an alkaline rich meal!
- Beetroot, not only will this help your pH levels, beetroot is one of the only sources of the phytonutrient betalain which may have anti-cancer properties! Buy fresh & steam it!
- Broccoli, this veggies should be on your plate at least 3 times a week!
- Brussel Sprouts, these havebeen shown to be able to help the body break down the acids caused by acid-forming foods!
- Buckwheat, this confusingly named food doesn’t contain wheat! So gluten free lovers rejoice!
- Cabbage, in addition to its alkalinity, cabbage has been shown to be very effective in preventing as well as reversing certain cancers. Add to it the fiber content, and the low caloric load, and it’s a winner for just about every diet out there.
- Cauliflower, from the smae family as broccoli & brussel sprouts, this veggie is great raw in salads or steamed as a side dish!
- Celery, low calorie count, and low flavour! Hide this veggie in smoothies if munching on it doesn’t appeal to you!
- Chia, sprinkle these power house seeds on anything! Soups, yogurt, smoothies!
- Chives, spice up your food with these!
- Cilantro, if you are a fan of cilantro.. eat it up! Cilantro can help with cholesterol, anemia, and digestion!
- Coconut, skip the flavored baking shavings, and grab some coconut oil to cook with!
- Collard Greens, high in Vitamin A, alkaline boosting and a super top cancer fighting food!
- Cucumber, this is a staple for summer. It will help you be alkaline and hydrated!
- Cumin, cook with this an alkaline forming veggies and you get double the effect!
- Eggplant, low in calories, will help to fill you up and keep you feeling full, and will help balance out some of the acidic foods you eat each day!
- Flax Oil & Seeds, extremely versatile food that you can add to just about anything!
- Garlic, increases alkalinity, helps detoxify the body, staves off cancer and vampires! 😉
- Ginger, buy the whole root and add it to your smoothies, stir fries, and even make a tea out of it!
- Grapefruit, low in sugar, boosts alkalinity and pH!
- Green Beans, in season RIGHT now at the Farmer’s Market and so easy to cook with!
- Kale, the super popular green and for good reason with 206% of your daily recommended amount of Vitamin A and 134% of Vitamin C in 1 just one cup! And alkaline boosting!
- Lemon, you may be surprised because of its tartness but lemons produce an alkaline response by the body, and it’s very low in sugar so it’s not going to set you back the way sweet fruits do. It also has a cleansing effect on the digestive system, as well as a good dose of Vitamin C!
- Lentils, high in Iron, fibre and alkaline!
- Navy Beans, and other white beans make this list because they are on the alkaline side of the equation They have an impressive amount of iron, fiber, and are a low-glycemic food, so they help prevent spikes in your blood glucose levels!
- Pomegranate, this is one of the few fruits that is alkaline forming and low in sugar! Try eating the seeds as a snack!
- Radishes, help fight cancer, while improving your digestion and preventing heart disease. They have a detoxifying effect on the body and can help regulate both blood pressure and blood glucose levels.
- Sprouts, these are great for an alkaline diet and can fit into pretty much any meal!
- Squash, although not in season quite yet, it will be soon and they are great as a side dish, also high in Vitamin A!
- Tomatoes, they’ve got plenty of lycopene in them, as well as antioxidants, and they’ve been shown to help the heart and help us to live long and happy lives!
Check out this super easy to understand demonstration from Dr. Oz to understand more about the harmful affects a highly acidic diet can have on your body & how an alkaline diet can help! http://www.doctoroz.com/article/25-alkaline-promoting-foods
I also wrote a blog a few months ago on why an Alkaline diet is so important toyour health & weight loss, check it ou: http://www.ironsidefitness.com/why-get-alkaline/
A great diet is a great start, but a workout regime will get you to your goals. Check out my tips on how to choose the best personal trainer: www.ironsidefitness.com/best-personal-trainer-calgary/